Sunday 4 March 2012

A Pause in Lent 2

The next virtue on the list for A Pause in Lent is Generosity: Pursuit of Charity. We read in Deutoronomy

Give generously to them and do so without a grudging heart; then because of this the LORD your God will bless you in all your work and in everything you put your hand to.
Deuteronomy 15:9-1

We are called to give generously to those who are in need. I was reminded very much of that this week as we held a Prayer Event for Tear Fund's One Voice Prayer Week. Tear Fund works in many different countries around the world in partnership with local churches to bring relief in disasters, to tackle poverty and injustice whereever it occurs.

The challenge for us who have so much is how to respond to this. 

And what does the LORD require of you? 
To act justly and to love mercy 
   and to walk humbly[a] with your God Micah 6:8

If you have not heard of Tear Fund then I ask you to go check out their website and be challenged. http://www.tearfund.org/en-sc/


5 comments:

Floss said...

Thank you, Fiona - the Micah quote was given (at random) to us as our 'verse for the year' at the New Year's day church service this year. I have stuck it on our fridge so that we keep it in mind.

I am a big fan of Tearfund and have taken part in their Lent Carbonfast before. I'll look at their Prayer Week info now.

Pom Pom said...

What a beautiful verse. It's what is good, what the Lord requires of me.
I will click on over and read about Tear Fund. Thank you.

magsmcc said...

I love that Micah passgae. It was the passage we chose for our older's sun's baptism. This is a lovely reminder of Godly priorities.

Angela said...

Lovely post. There's been so many 'prayer' events this week. Thanks for your comment on my blog re WWDOP. Hope your nursing home service went well- I am sure it was much appreciated by the residents!

Lenten blessings x

Unknown said...

Thanks Fiona. I'm another big fan of tearfund and it is great to read a practical post.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...